Monday, November 06, 2006

Louise, no matter what happens, I'm glad I came with you

Two things:

1) I just got back from my five-year-ish physical, and I'm in good health! My cholesterol is low, my blood pressure is low, my blood sugar is in the right place, etc., etc. So, weird maxillary pain aside, I've got nothing to worry about. I can go on eating bacon to my heart's content. You know, for now.

2) Just before I went to the doctor, I dumped my sister off at the airport. She was only here for the weekend so it was too-quick a trip, but I was sad to go back to the apartment without her. I miss her! And we had fun while she was here.

I mean, we both missed the boys, of course, but it was also the first time just the two of us got to hang out for any extended period in roughly 10 years, I think. So we could stay up late, sleep in late, skip meals if we felt like it, eat sushi, linger over brunch, go shopping, spend the afternoon museum-hopping... all without interruption, complaint, or naptime. So we did!

We also went to see Chicago (the musical), and, best of all, drove through the Wine Country on a glorious autumn Sunday with the top down in our Dollar-rent-a-car convertible-for-the-price-of-an-economy-class lucky mistake. I could definitely get used to that.

Anyway, a number of people during the weekend commented how nice it was to see siblings out together having fun, as though it were an unusual thing. I mean, I know we haven't always gotten along perfectly, but that was just part of growing up under the same roof sharing space, attention, the bathroom, and not sharing all the same tastes, opinions, inclinations, perceived opportunities. Whatever animosity we might have felt towards each other when we were younger has largely dissipated as adults. And I guess I find it hard to believe that that's terribly rare.


In any case, yay! Here's to health and family!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online