Monday, December 25, 2006

Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we

I've been listening to Christmas carols all day today and waxing nostalgic. I usually don't get too wrapped up in the holidays because I'm not religious and I go all humbuggery at the commercial buy-a-thon. Christmas sort of melted into the distance with the geographical miles between me and my family, and it's hard to conjure the spirit of the season when in the shadow of palm trees.

But this year was a little different for whatever reason. I actually enjoyed being out in the shoptastic masses, grinned at the whiff of woodsmoke on the cold breeze, and reveled in the unusual frosty air (well, low 40's, but still). And talking to the family back home several times over the past week and hearing about the crazy blizzard and snow drifts and treacherous driving and shoveling and the nephews home from school and hoping for Santa to bring them an air hockey table -- well, it made me miss home and the holidays of my youth.

And I'd forgotten how much I love Christmas carols. Seriously. Even the religious ones. They're all tied up with tangled ribbons of bygone Sunday school pageants, church ritual, family gatherings and gift unwrappings, tree decorating, grandma's house, stocking stuffers and twinkling lights of warmth and peace. The First Noel, We Three Kings, and O Holy Night can totally make me a weepy mess.

The greatest of all, though (not counting "What Do You Get a Wookie For Christmas When He Already Owns a Comb" from the
Christmas in the Stars: Star Wars Christmas Album which I'm praying Dad still has on vinyl in his basement somewhere because that thing has got to be worth some money), will forever be John Denver and the Muppets, singing directly to me.

The season is upon us now,
a time for gifts and giving.
And as the year draws to its close,
I think about my living.
Christmas time when I was young,
the magic and the wonder.
But colors dull and candles dim
and dark my standing under.

Oh, little angel, shining light,
you’ve set my soul to dreaming.
You’ve given back my joy in life,
you filled me with new meaning.

A savior King was born that day,
a baby just like you.
And as the Magi came with gifts,
I come with my gift too.
That peace on earth fills up your time
and brotherhood surrounds you,
That you may know the warmth of love
and wrap it all around you.

It’s just a wish, a dream I’m told
from days when I was young,
Merry Christmas little Zachary, Merry Christmas everyone.
Merry Christmas little Zachary, Merry Christmas everyone.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online