Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pay it backward

I was at IKEA this weekend, which isn't terribly interesting in and of itself. Nor was the drive (in a City Carshare car) there or home. I don't often drive across the Bay Bridge to the East Bay, and today coming home was a good reminder why: the traffic at the toll booths! Ugh!

I also screwed up which lane to get in and had to cut over sort of late in the game, cutting off a lot of schlubs who'd already been in stop and go for a half mile. I felt really bad about it and was thrilled that a car paused to let me in -- not something I'm likely to have done were I in the other lane. So the karmic guilt kicked in and I suddenly decided I needed to do something nice in return.

Fortunately the opportunity was right there.
I glanced in the rearview a few times and an unremarkable middle-aged couple in the pickup that let me in was still behind me. So I paid their bridge toll. It was only $3, but I was surprised how good it made me feel. And, though I sort of hoped it would be regarded as a mysterious random act of holiday season kindness, they swerved dangerously through traffic to catch up to me on the Bridge and wave and smile their frantic appreciation.

Too bad there's not a good reward system for thoughtful drivers -- it might reduce the number of jerkweeds on the road. But yay! Not everyone out there is a maniac.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online