Thursday, August 17, 2006

Should I be worried?

Huh. So this morning, long before I needed to be up, I started to emerge from dreamland in the quiet of the predawn morning, when my bed shuddered and the apartment rattled and I felt another earthquake. I looked at my clock and it was 5:57. This one was dinky (a mere 2.9 acccording to the USGS), but eerily reminiscent of the last one.

I'm a little alarmed for several reasons. First of all, I find it a little strange that I should have awakened a few minutes immediately prior to both of them. Not that I'm claiming psychic abilities or anything, though that would be useful. It's just disconcerting is all. Second, after going several years without feeling any earthquakes, it seems there's been a slight uptick in their frequency. And lastly, this one was directly under Berkeley, along a stretch of the Hayward fault that has been quiet for long enough that the seismologists are worried. Was this the first sign that the Hayward is going to slip? I shudder at the thought. And think I'll get to creating that little earthquake kit for the office.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online