Sunday, March 12, 2006

See what's become of me

Today I had a day all to myself. After spending 14 straight hours in a Wal-mart yesterday*, I slept late, watched HBO in the hotel, and then went exploring in fabulous downtown Greenville, SC. Which was actually quite nice. There's a cute little tree-lined downtown area with lots of shops and bars and restaurants and which ends at the Reedy River where it passes through the heart of town. The river is a broad shallow thing that slides over worn, rust-colored slabs of ancient gneiss and tumbles into a waterfall where textile mills once stood. Now nestled there is a perfect little park with the waterfall as its centerpiece, and a curved cantilevered suspension bridge arching gracefully out over the falls.

So I found a dry rock in the middle of the waterfall, plopped down with my feet dangling over the edge, and took an extended nap in the sun. Lying there with the warm rock at my back, awash in the sound of rushing water, I was probably more relaxed that I'd been for months.

Ok, so the fact that it was 85 degrees didn't hurt. I love that about spring - the weather is totally schizoid. It was snowing here last weekend and today was 85. Meanwhile it was snowing in San Francisco this weekend. Seriously. I'm sort of bummed I missed it (the snow, not the pile-up), and it's killing me that I'm not snowboarding in Tahoe with all the new snow they're getting. Also, here's hoping the severe weather in the Midwest this weekend doesn't affect me here as the front passes through tomorrow.

So what did I think about while napping? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. My mind was blank. I was so exhausted that I didn't use the time productively at all. But, it was a welcome break nonetheless. I'm almost done. And I'm SO looking forward to getting home.

* And I do mean straight... a sample conversation with the technician with whom I was working:
Myron: So, you ain't from around here.
Me: It's that obvious? Ha ha. Yeah, they flew me out here to check out several different sites.
Myron: Where from?
Me: California.
Myron: Where in California?
Me: Northern California.
Myron: Where abouts?
Me: Our office is in San Francisco.
Myron: Oh-ho.
Me: Yeah. Here, let me carry that big heavy TV. So how about that Barry Bonds?

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely deflected. Of course, if he'd persisted, you could have countered by making fun of his name.

-p

thptpth said...

You weren't drinking bottled water, were you? 'Cause you know, any man without a beer in his hand...

I'm just sayin'.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online