Thursday, November 10, 2005

Corinthians 6:19

I was visiting a friend last weekend who recently bought a house in the town of Roseville, just outside of Sacramento. I know. But the house is actually really cute -- although admittedly I'm suffering from both home-ownership and yard envy (my rent alone is like a mortgage, people, and you want grass and trees in the City? Forget it). Now, I've been to the Sacramento area a whopping 4 or 5 times, and mostly stopping at the In-N-Out burger off I-80 coming home from Tahoe. Not counting all we learned as kids from "Eight is Enough", my main impressions of the Sac were: Blech. The whole Generica suburban smoggy nightmare level of hell. The taste of evil? A little chalky.

And now another reason to grit my teeth. A few blocks from her (cute) house was The Lord's Gym. The building is painted with a giant muscular bleeding Jesus doing pushups with a cross on his back. Horrified, I sped to the internet only to learn that these gyms exist all over the freakin' country (though I stood agape before the original!) and their T-shirt happens to be one of the best-selling T-shirts of all time (His Pain, Your Gain). I wonder if they have Steppin' the Stairway to Heaven aerobics classes. I do see they offer boxing, so basically you can beat the shit out of someone in the name of Jesus. Anyway, I guess the fact that this is all new to me just proves what a glorious godless Gomorrah I live in, even if I can't rake any lawn.

2 Comments:

Electric Mayhem said...

This is why we belong in the cities and not the 'burbs, my dear. The tall buildings keep the Jebus out.

Zach said...

Save me, Jebus!

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online