Sunday, April 15, 2007

String Theory

Ok. Here it is. I've mentioned knitting in passing a few times here, and brushed it aside for later. Well it's later, and I'm coming out of the yarn closet.

My friend Zoe is something of a knitting evangelist, as it turns out. No one in my family ever knit when I was growing up, so I was fascinated watching Zoe knit a snazzy sock while we traveled to Hawaii last November. She lent me some needles and yarn, showed me the basics, and before we left, I had my first little purple garter, stockinette, and rib stitch swatch. Hilariously, the only thing I brought back for myself from Hawaii was how to knit.

I was obviously craving craft time, because the very next week I ran out to get needles and yarn; I needed to put what I'd learned into practice before I forgot how to cast on or bind off. The first picture, above, is the result of that. The next few pictures, in order, are the scarves I've completed so far. I'm working on two others, so I'll show them off later. It's funny, even though I don't have a book with tips and how-tos, I've learned a whole lot from one project to the next, and the quality has improved (while still, somehow, completely lacking quality).

Just for the record, I wouldn't exactly call myself a Knitter. Not because that carries any particular connotations or anything (believe me, today's knit enthusiasts are not sitting in your grandmother's knitting circle). Mostly it's because I haven't made anything beyond a few scarves, and can't imagine I'll ever knit a big soft blanket or a whole funky handmade sweater. I may attempt a hat or a pair of socks at some point, just to see if I can do it. But otherwise this will probably remain just a skill I picked up along the way.

So I guess if anyone has any scarf (or hat or sock) orders, put them in quick. Otherwise, your lovely knitted wear will end up in the same place as the ceramic urn or large serving bowl I promised a few years ago.

I think glass blowing is next on my list...

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online