Friday, April 20, 2007

Progress goes 'Boink'

I called in sick today. Legitimately, in case you were wondering. I'm generally not one to squander my time off on mental health days... partly because I'm a bad liar and fear my attempts at a gravelly voice and fake coughs are transparent as Saran-wrap, and partly because I'd rather save my PTO for actual out-of-Dodge vacation. Today I'm not exactly sick, per se, but I think I'm having an unpleasant reaction to the nasty Option B antibiotics my dentist prescribed to try to tackle the persistent mysterious tooth problem once and for all. Without going into details, I decided it was necessary for me to be close to home today.

At any rate, so here I am this morning, sitting on my couch rather than sitting in my soul-sucking cubicle. I left my laptop at the office, so I can't do work, I certainly am not going to clean the apartment or anything crazy or productive like that, and I'm not venturing out because I do feel icky plus it's raining. I figure I'll play some video games later. But this morning? I've reacquainted myself with an ornery little boy and his tiger.

I happen to have the complete set of Calvin and Hobbes, 3 gravitational volumes of every comic in the order they were originally published, and they've been sitting on my shelf awaiting my attention for months. These are tomes that demand deliberation, not mere casual perusal. Ahh, I'd forgotten how truly excellent this strip was. Bill Watterson was genius, I tell you!

My day has improved considerably.

4 Comments:

Dissident Sister said...

Dear Brunsie-

I hope your dental trauma is nearing its end. Mouth problems...well, they suck, not to put too fine a point on it.

RE: my impending trip to the SF -- I am living in mortal terror of running into an ex of mine who lives there. Mortal terror ...and also a perverse kind of eagerness, actually. I'd like to punch him square in the ass. I'm only telling you this because, if things go down as I think they will, you will be thrown into the pokey with me.

Zach said...

Somehow, I always knew it would come down to the two of us in the slammer, Doc. Just know that, even if my first (and second... ok, and third) impulse is to running screaming in the opposite direction when this shit goes down, I got your back.

Dissident Sister said...

No, your first impulse will be to bed this man! Because he is the fiyah and is of ambiguous sexuality! He draws people to him like a moth to an evil flame! He is like some kind of evil catnip! Ooooooh, I hates him, precious. I hates him.

Actually, that's not true. I'm just amazed that he managed to hypnotize me with his bootleg charisma for so long. It had to have been the accent. Dude, British accents are that ish. People be getting excused for shit LEFT AND RIGHT.

Good to know you got my back, though. You are a ride or die chick, Bruns.

Zach said...

Ooooh, thanks for the advanced warning. Walking blind into that sort of sitch could have been ugly; I get all kinds of crazy-eyed weak-kneed stupid around the accents (particularly Aussie and Irish, but Brit'll do it too). I'll do my best to remain strong for you, Doc but we may need to fill my ears with wax or bind me to the mast.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online