Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Something worthwhile for the sun to shine on

A number of years ago, my good friend Meredith introduced me to this silly thing at one of the local fine arts museums which became sort of an annual tradition to attend. Called "Bouquets to Art," the entire museum is filled with floral arrangements by local florists, designers, landscapers and old lady civic organizations, and the arrangements mimic or complement the works of art in the museum's collection.

If it sounds a bit cheesy or hoity-toity, it is a little, but at its best it can also be spectacular. There are all sorts of good reasons to buy membership to a fine arts museum, like supporting art education, premium access to special exhibits, tax deductions and such, but I actually got mine so I could get in on the yearly members-only Bouquets to Art evening.

This year, I ended up going alone because I'm the only one who reliably shows up for the things I do, and because Meredith moved to Atlanta. I arrived a little late and was shocked to see several thousand people milling about outside the De Young, until I noticed the flashing lights in the museum and the fire trucks parked out front. Eventually the alarms were reset and they let us flood inside all at once, extending the hours they'd be open. The galleries actually absorbed the crowds well once they dispersed past the entrance, and I was able to peruse the museum at a liesurely pace.

Two things occured to me: I could design floral arrangements if I set my mind to it, and I need to take advantage of my museum membership more often for other exhibits too.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

1 Comment:

Electric Mayhem said...

I'm sorry, did time stop or something? It seems so much later in the year than March.

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online