Sunday, March 02, 2008

I'm a one man guy is me

Back in mid-January it started. The first e-mail arrived from a former co-worker who had fallen out of touch wanting to know if I was doing commercials. Within weeks, people were coming out of the woodwork left and right mentioning they'd seen someone on TV who looked and acted just like me.

I've been through this sort of thing before.

Back when Tom Green was just gaining popularity on MTV by drinking milk directly from the cow, people were stopping me on the street or hooting from the passing school bus, and shouting his name from passing cars. I had no idea what was going on for a month or so, until a friend explained who he was. I didn't quite see it, I'm afraid, but there was nothing I could do to convince the staff of a Chick-fil-A in Leeds, Alabama that I wasn't him. Despite my driver's license and lack of camera crew, I think they were quite sure I was pulling some elaborate prank on them, though I tried to explain the actual Tom Green tended towards the not that subtle.

I've also had several weird look-alike and mistaken identity incidents, that may or may not have been related in more than just timing.

But this time, even people I know really well started saying things. At work, an e-mail has been circulating referring to the "Zach-alike". And then, finally, I saw the commercial myself. And about fell off the couch. The match isn't perfect, but the resemblance was enough to send a cold chill up my spine and give me the wiggins.

They say that everyone has a twin out there somewhere, and I suppose it's not completely unreasonable to imagine among 6.6 billion people. And who hasn't been told at some point that they remind someone of someone else? But seriously? I'd like to continue living under the illusion that I'm completely unique, thank you.

I'd post the video, but I can't find it anywhere online. Nor can I find out the identity of this Zach-alike, though I'm not sure what I'd do with that information if I had it. Shouldn't there be some way I can make money out of this? Anyway, if anyone has any info on the dude from the Febreze Candles "In the Air" spot, by all means pass it along.

7 Comments:

Electric Mayhem said...

Holy shit, you finally saw it!! Remind me to call Proctor & Gamble to see how we can get our hands on a video online. It's just uncanny. He even moves like you, his limbs, his mouth...it's creepy.

Dissident Sister said...

That is so deeply creepy, Bruns. Just look at that guy! He's got "Evil Twin" written all over his smug, beard-y face! Wait a minute...which are you, again?!

I kid! Seriously, though: that is effed up. I audibly gasped when I saw the screen cap. Broccoli had impressed upon me the Zachitude of this Johnny-come-weirdly awhile ago, but I brushed it off as the inanity of a coke-addled junkie. Turns out she was right.

Bruns, if this guy tried to steal your identity, there is no way you could stop him.

Electric Mayhem said...

Who you callin junkie?!

thptpth said...

That's...that's just...I'm flabbergasted, here. His chin is maybe like, half an inch pointier than yours, but cripes! That's you! That's you, Dru! I'm so freaked out. His beard even has the subtle reddish tint that yours does!

I did the same thing when Rose mentioned it to me, Broc - I did a half-hearted search for Febreze candles ads on You Tube, and then went, "Eh. It's probably not that amazing."

But I am now a true believer.

I, for one, welcome our Zach Android Army overlords. Please give me a spot in the "Humans we'd like to keep around for awhile" category when you set about taking over the planet. Thanks.

Electric Mayhem said...

Ha! Teaches you all a lesson, no? Next time, everyone will believe Rose! I'm not crazy. Much.

thptpth said...

Btw, KB just had a gander and he says to tell you that you're much better looking than the other guy.

girlea said...

I still say, "Where are the royalty checks?"

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online