Monday, February 18, 2008

Teach a man to knit

I'm making progress whittling down the number of projects on the go. Zoe should be proud. It's been a year and a few months since she taught me the knitting basics (picture us sitting in the balmy breezeway of the Hilo airport, awaiting our flight to Honolulu, needles in hand and yarn in lap, knitting away), and I'm still at it. Not that I'm terribly good, nor particularly persistent, but I've certainly been practicing and learning new things.

Pictured is my most complicated project to date. Ok, fingerless mittens are not exactly gloves or a sweater, but hey, I said I wasn't that good. But there's a thumb gusset and braided cable knit, not to mention the color changes. I'm kind of proud of the outcome.

My friend Andrea was giving me a lot of good-natured shit about my knitting. She sits next to one of my more knitting-obsessed buddies at work, so every time I was over in her cube asking questions or showing off a project or ooh-ing over her latest yarn, Andrea would stand up and roll her eyes and point and laugh. So I made these for her to shut her up.

I wasn't so sure of the colors, but hilariously as I stepped into her cube I saw a pair of store-bought pink and brown striped fingerless gloves already sitting on her desk. Her girlfriend had bought them for her just yesterday. I didn't intend to upstage her girlfriend, but she likes my gift better. Heh. She can only wear them, however, on the condition that she quits with the pointing and laughing.

2 Comments:

Unknown said...

Zach - these are awesome! I'm so proud (for some reason your posts show up in my blog catcher late...)

Zach said...

It's not you. I'm just waaaaay behind in getting these posted. I have a tendency to start a post, but then it remains unfinished for a week or two before I take the time to complete it. My bad.

I saw someone wearing what appeared to be a Tilted Duster the other day and thought of you. :)

I think I'm ready to try socks...

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online